Its light weight, weatherproof qualities, and impressive ventilation make this tent one of a kind. Without a doubt you can say this one gives you the most value.
Mountaineering is a very demanding activity so you need a quality tent like the ALPS Mountaineering Chaos 2 Tent to make sure you are ready for any eventualities while out in the unforgiving outdoors. The quality of your shelter while trekking deep into the mountains and forests will somehow determine the quality of your experience. This is the reason why you need to get the best mountaineering gear available to you, especially when it comes to your tent. It must be waterproof, have good ventilation, provide enough room for storage, and very portable that carrying it around for miles is not a problem.
Design and performance
The ALPS Mountaineering Chaos 2 Tent has a low, aerodynamic design that allows it to withstand strong winds and rain. With its waterproof 75D 185T polyester taffeta material, even a heavy downpour is not a cause for concern. You can stay dry all night and sleep comfortably without worrying about a thing. It has extra guy lines for its fly so that both the fly and the whole tent structure can be kept stable in strong winds. Its floor has a 3000mm waterproof coating that should be more than enough to resist moisture coming from the ground.
Best suited for
This tent is best suited for people who are into mountaineering and trekking. It is also great for those who love to take extended trips in remote camp sites. It is suitable for individuals who engage in outdoor activities such as fishing or canoeing which can sometimes mean camping out in the middle of nowhere. It is also best suited for people who like to experience the outdoors on their own or with another person. The tent has enough space for 2 people and can comfortably house even tall people. The tent might look small on the outside but this is only because of its low silhouette.
Not so great for
This is not too great for people who live or plan to have an outdoor adventure in cold areas. The mesh roofing and walls make the tent too cold for winter camping. This is also not suitable for people who would prefer to have more wriggle room inside. This is an acceptable compromise for its portability.
- Floor Material: 75D 185T Taffeta with 3000mm coating.
- Rainfly Material: 75D 185T Polyester.
- Color: Dark Clay/Rust.
- Freestanding: Yes.
- Doors: 2
- Number of Vestibules: 2
- Pole Material: 7000-series aluminum.
- Floor Space: 33 sq ft.
- Max Inside Width: 56 in / 124.2 cm.
- Max Inside Length: 86 in / 218.4 cm.
- Head Height: 41 in / 104.1 cm.
- Vestibule Space: 17 sq ft.
- Item Weight: 4.9 pounds/ 2.2 k
- The tent’s doors are equipped with large #8 zippers so that it can withstand years of use and abuse. This is an important design detail that only a seasoned mountaineer can really appreciate. Nothing is more frustrating than a non-functioning zipper.
- The all weather fly provides for full coverage making the whole tent water tight. The fly has guy-outs so that it can be secured in severe weather.
- The tent has two mesh doors and vestibules that have enough space to store gear and provide additional weather protection.
- It has a polyester fly that provides UV protection for the people inside while making it taut, an important detail that translates to zero water leaks when heavy rains and strong winds pummel the tent.
- It has a clip-type assembly so getting the tent up is very easy. With practice, the set up time can be as fast as 5 minutes.
- This tent has a free standing pole system made from 7000 series aluminum poles. This makes it very light without sacrificing its structural strength.
- This tent has mesh roof and mesh walls that make it a well ventilated structure. This is ideal for 3-season places or areas with sub-tropical and tropical climates. When the sky is clear enough you can star gaze by simply removing the weatherproof fly.
- Rain Fly, 7000 Series Aluminum Poles, Pole Bag, Stake Bag, 7075 Aluminum Stakes, Guy Ropes, Repair Swatches, Mesh Storage Pocket, Tent Bag included
Pros & Cons
- It is very light.
- Its set up is fast and easy. You can do it on your own in 5 minutes.
- The ALPS Mountaineering Chaos 2 Tent has enough ventilation that should make sleep comfortable even in humid nights.
- It has a weatherproof fly that is easily detachable. This is the secret to the tent's ability to do well both in humid days and when it is raining hard all night long.
- It is made from a high quality polyester material.
- It has guy lines and buckles for the fly making it easy to secure and/or adjust.
- It comes with its own compact storage bag. This fits perfectly in a decent sized 110L backpack.
- It only has room for 2 people.
- Too much mesh in its construction makes it ideal for sub tropical climate but unsuitable and too cold for areas where there is winter.
- The nylon straps in the rain fly can get ripped in high winds and can cause leaks inside the tent.
- The rain fly touches the mesh so that in high winds and heavy downpour leaks are but inevitable. Tightening the buckle on the fly should address this problem.
- The floor of the tent allows moisture in when there is just too much water outside. This can be fixed by buying a floor saver.
Benefits you get when you use it
One of the key benefits of the ALPS Mountaineering Chaos 2 Tent is its ability to keep you cool and well ventilated inside. This is mostly because of the mesh walls, roof, and doors that provide a steady flow of air from the outside. But what makes this tent really likable is that while it is perfect for those hot nights, it is also more than capable of keeping you dry even in heavy, overnight rains. By using the rain fly and making sure it is installed correctly you can sleep soundly through the night without worrying about water seeping in. The secret here is correct tent installation.
Summary of customer reviews
People who have already used this product have given it mostly 5-star ratings. They say it is a high quality shelter and for its price, a bargain for people who love mountaineering. They also like the weight of the tent which is at 5.7 Ibs and the space it can provide for two people. One couple even has room to spare for their 100-pound dog. The easy assembly of the tent is also making people excited about this product including first time campers. The ability of this shelter to provide both for ventilation and weather protection impressed a lot of users. This is often the reason why they recommend this tent aside from the fact that it is simply well made with its maker having the eye for details. The weatherproof fly, the vestibules that can store packs and boots, and the free standing pole system have garnered praises from customers.
Step by step setting up guide
- Remove the ALPS Mountaineering Chaos 2 Tent from its carry case.
- Separate the basic tent material from the rain fly.
- Snap the poles so that it locks firm into its basic structural form. There are a total of three separate pole assemblies. Connect them together to form the basic structure of the tent.
- Easily clip on the polyester material of the tent to the now standing support frame.
- These first 4 steps should already get your tent up.
- Spread out the rain fly and put it over the standing tent structure. Clip it on to the post support on each of the four corners of the tent. Adjust the buckle to secure the fly properly.
Let’s take a look at the video for understanding the process of setting up much more clear
Tips for maintenance and usage
It is easy to maintain the ALPS Mountaineering Chaos 2 Tent. Here are a few pointers that can help you enjoy your tent longer. First, be sure to snugly fit the rain fly to the tent by tightening the buckle on each corner. This should prevent it from moving wildly in high winds and prevent tearing from its base. This can cause damage to the buckle so that water leaks are inevitable. Do not store this tent wet unless you have to. Always take care of your assembly process, even the way you open and close the mesh doors. This will help prevent zipper and mesh damage which is very vulnerable to tears. Last but not the least; make sure to use the guy-outs to secure the fly when necessary. This can help secure the tent and prevent buckles and clips from ripping off in high winds.
No other mountaineering tents in the market today areas reasonably priced as the ALPS Mountaineering Chaos 2 Tent. When you consider the quality and well thought-out features of this tent, without a doubt you can say this one gives you the most value. Its light weight, weatherproof qualities, and impressive ventilation make this tent one of a kind.
If you are looking for a tent that is both weatherproof and has good interior air circulation then the Chaos 2 Tent is a good option for you to consider. It has the durability and design specifications you need without the steep price mountaineering tents are known for. With this tent you can go the distance without spending too much. Even seasoned outdoors men prefer this over pricier tents. This is proof that maybe this is also good enough for your use.