Coleman Sundome 4-Person tent is one of the cheapest high quality tents on market. It's also very lightweight and easy to setup. It is a great tent to buy.
The Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent is one of the more popular tents online, and while there are a lot of 4 person tents, the Sundome has managed to carve out its niche and earned a loyal following. The name Coleman has been associated with quality, but how does this particular tent hold up?
That’s what this review is for, to show you how well the tent performs, the design, the pros, and cons and if it is really worth buying. We’re going to start with an assessment of its performance and then move on to its features, etc.
Design and Performance
The Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent review can verify that it’s got the room for four people and it’s roomy too. With a sleeping base of 63 square feet the tent is more than enough for four individuals, and with a height of 99 inches, there’s enough space for tall people to stand up in the tent.
The dimensions also enhance the tent’s air circulation and offer plenty in terms of ventilation, which is a common problem with smaller tents. The tent also uses a proprietary rain fly design that allows it to shrug off rain or the wind. For all its features, the tent still looks natural.
Best Suited For
This tent is best suited for camping during summer and when there’s light or moderate wind. The Sundome is durable and can withstand a few rain showers so don’t expect to get soaked if the rain falls. Overall the tent has a very good built and should do fine for general camping.
The tent’s size makes it suitable for a family of four, but even if you are a single camper, the space provided by this tent might entice you especially if you’re the type who brings a lot of camping gear, and it’s also ideal for couples.
Not so Great For
The Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent is a well-made tent but you don’t want to use this when there’s a heavy downpour or strong winds. The rain fly can deal with light snow but this isn’t meant for use during the winter. It’s not a good idea either to set this on rocky terrain.
- Made in USA or Imported.
- Sleeps 4 people.
- 59" center height.
- 8.5 mm fiberglass poles.
- Floor 1000D Polyethylene.
- Electric access port.
- Ground vent and large windows move air up and out.
- Spacious interior, room to move.
- Dome design for quick setup, 15 minutes.
- Snag-free, continuous pole sleeves for easy setup.
- Rainfly awning for shade and rain protection.
- Storage pockets keep gear organized.
- WeatherTec(TM) system's patented welded floors and inverted seams help keep water out.
- Insta-Clip(TM) Pole Attachments stand up to wind.
- 9 ft. x 7 ft. footprint fits 4 people or one queen airbed.
- 4 ft. 11 in. center height, room to move.
- Carry bag included for easy transport.
- 1-year limited warranty.
- The Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent has several features, but what really sets it apart from the rest is the amount of space each individual gets to sleep in as 2 adults and 2 children can fit comfortably.
- In terms of construction the Sundome is durable thanks to the material used. It is comprised of polyester fabric and is resistant to shrinking, wrinkles and chemicals, and when washed it dries up quickly.
- The tent is equipped with pole attachments that clip automatically while you’re setting it up, and the poles are durable enough to withstand a good amount of blowing wind.
- The floor is made up of 1000D polyethylene cover, a fabric that’s known for being durable and hard to tear.
- A quick look at the tent also shows that it comes with storage pockets, handy for keeping your tent organized and clutter free. The tent also comes with a convenient carrying case so you can bring the tent with you anywhere you go.
- The Sundome also has a conveniently placed electrical access port.
- The tent has a Variflo ventilation system that you can adjust until you are comfortable with it.
- Privacy widows are built in.
- The pole sleeves are snag free.
Pros & Cons
- The tent is built from high quality materials and will last a long time.
- The tent doesn't require a lot of maintenance.
- Easy to set up.
- The zippers are well made. They run smoothly, don't get stuck and doesn't get affected by water.
- The tent is spacious yet it's light and isn't hard to pack. For all its features the Sundome is still a breeze to put together even if you're new to camping.
- The tent ventilation system works as advertised and goes a long way towards preventing condensation and other related problems.
- The tent isn't designed for use in extreme weather. While it's durable, setting it up in torrential rain or heavy snow is going to cause problems.
- The tent is vulnerable to leaking at the seam where the sides meets the floor. As one Amazon reviewer pointed out, nonstop rain for 10 hours can produce leaks on the sides up to 1.5 inches.
- The space is suitable for four people yes, but these are for average sized people; if you are a physically large individual, the space might be appropriate only for two or three.
- The mesh vents are not covered by the rain fly.
Benefits You Can Get When You Use It
This Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent review can say that this is a very comfortable tent to use. Once you’re inside it’s comfortable, and the storage pockets provide you with a convenient location for your gear. Once set up you have a real home away from home, and setup should take no more than ten minutes.
The tent is well made, and special mention again has to be made for the ventilation as it keeps the interior temperature just right. Even if rain suddenly falls, the ventilation does its job and does it well.
Summary of Customers Review
The majority of reviews have been positive with 67% giving the tent 5 stars. The consensus among the reviewers is that the Sundome is easy to set up and the interior is as comfortable and spacious as the ads say it is. Some of the customer reviews come from people who aren’t even regular campers and they are very happy with the Sundome and how easy it is to use.
Some of the reviews complain about the leaks, but as others have pointed out, this can be remedied by seaming and following the instructions. When all the reviews are taken into account, the vast majority are happy with the Sundome and its performance. And as was pointed out earlier, some campers use the tent in different ways, with a two or three camper group using the extra space for their gear and accessories, underscoring the tent’s versatility.
Step by Step Setting Up Guide
- The tent is easy enough to assemble, but for best results there should be at least one other person to help you out.
- Position the tent in the direction where you want the door to be.
- Stake the corners via the stake rings. The floor needs to be taut.
- Assemble the poles by interlocking and unfolding the shock corded pole sections.
- Put the body poles into the pole sleeves.
- Put a pin in one of the poles. Go to the opposite pole and insert a pin at the end. Do this for all the poles.
- Attach the clips on the tent's edges on the poles.
- To attach the rainfly, connect the ridge pole on the rainfly's underside using the straps. Place the tips of the upper ridge pole in the pockets of the rainfly.
- Drape the rainfly on the Sundome. Use the S hooks to join the elastic loops on the corners of the rainfly onto the rings on the Sundome's corners.
- To secure the rainfly, use the straps on the rainfly's undersides.
- Connect the stake out elastic cord at the guylines and ground vent. While setting up, make sure the door is zipped so there's tension in the fabric.
Let’s take a look at the video for understanding the process of setting up much more clear
Tips for Maintenance and Usage
This Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent review can say this is a sturdy tent, but proper maintenance is still necessary. Don’t leave the tent open for several weeks as exposure to UV rays could cause damage. Also, you should remove the stakes by pulling the stake, not the tent, otherwise there’s the possibility you could hurt yourself or damage the tent.
Don’t store the tent until it’s fully dried out if you washed it, and use a separate container for the stakes and poles; don’t pack them together with the tent. Do not put any flammable objects near the tent at any point.
Finally, the rainfly needs to be removed first before you can fold and store the tent. Make sure also the vents and the door are unzipped prior to taking the tent down. To prevent damage, fold the tent as neatly as possible before storing in the bag.
The Sundome is a well-made tent and thoroughly deserves all the good reviews it has been getting. It is durable, well designed and appeals to its target audience, which is the family. While this isn’t a tent you will use for high altitude camping or survival, it’s more than adequate for camping at campgrounds. This is ideal for casual campers and those who want to get started on camping or with very little experience. Any way you look at it this is a high-quality tent that more than lives up to expectations, and it’s worth it.
The Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent is the kind of tent that will really appeal to families who want a no-frills tent that’s durable and easy to set up. A lot of the problems pointed out in some of the reviews can be avoided by setting the tent in the proper location, and that itself isn’t hard to do. When everything is taken into consideration, the Sundome is more than capable of standing up on its own when compared with other family tents. If you want to go camping with the family, this is the tent to buy.