When it comes to any talk of the best waterproof tent, the Big Horn deserves to be in the discussion. When it comes to family tents you need to look for the following: space, protection from the elements and reliability. The Big Horn has all of these and offers a lot more.
The Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent is one of the top sellers on Amazon right now, and the general impression one gets is that is one of the best waterproof tent products available today. But is it the right one for you and can it really withstand the rain and wind? In this review we are going to take a look at this tent up close and determine how well it really performs. We will go over its performance, the design and also give you the pros and cons so you’ll know what the tent is good for and not.
Design and Performance
The Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent has lots of room, measuring 10 x 15 feet with a maximum ceiling of 7 ft. 3 in. There’s more than enough here for a family or the camper who has a lot of gear. Performance wise the Browning delivers as it doesn’t leak and offers plenty of ventilation during summer. The materials used are solid too so you don’t have to worry about the tent toppling.
Best Suited For
The Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent works great as an all-season tent: the 150D oxford floor is twice a heavy as a nylon floor and is sturdier and provides extra durability. The tent is perfect for families who want to camp for extended periods, and with two sizable rooms offers privacy for everyone. The fly buckles are also adjustable, ideal for the camper who wants full control over their tents, and overall this is the kind of tent you can use in different terrains and environments owing to its build. Bottom line: this is an all-around tent.
Not So Great For
The Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent does a lot of things well, but it’s probably too much for a single camper. It’s got plenty of room but if you’re alone and don’t carry a lot of gear the Big Horn is overkill and too much.
- Tent Type: Cabin/family Tent.
- Color: Black/Orange.
- Base Size: 10' x 15'
- Center Height: 7'3
- Tent Area: 150 sq. ft.
- Total Weight: 30.75 pounds.
- Pole Diameter: 12.5 mm
- Capacity: 8-10 Persons.
- Setting Up Time: 10~15 minutes.
What Features Make It Special?
- The Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent is easy to assemble owing to the 3-pole design. Setting up is made more convenient by the steel uprights and the fiberglass poles, and steel stakes are bundled in as well.
- Easy Set Up with Unique Hub Design.
- Wall Divider for Two Rooms.
- 2 Large Doors Allow Easy Entry Into Either Room Individually.
- Easy Assembly with Pole Clips that quickly snap over the tent poles.
- There is a wall divider included for privacy.
- The tent has six windows for superior ventilation.
- Several mesh storage pockets are provided so you can store various items.
- One of the reasons why this is considered one of the best waterproof tent is the 2000mm coating its 150D polyester oxford floor has, and its 75D 185T polyester fly can withstand UV rays.
- The tent comes with guy ropes, with floor seams and sealed fly providing additional weather protection.
- The walls of the tent are straight so there is more room inside.
- All the materials used are high quality.
- The 75D 185T polyester fly buckles offer full coverage for Maximum Adjust ability and Protection.
- Mesh Storage Pockets, Steel Stakes, Guy Ropes Included.
- Extra Large Zippers on Doors.
Pros & Cons
- The tent is roomy.
- All the items necessary to set it up are included.
- The tent is made from high quality materials.
- The wall divider is versatile and provides extra flexibility. You can for instance, divide the tent so one area is for sleeping and another for your equipment and clothes.
- The many positive customer reviews indicate that it's of good quality.
- This is an all-purpose, all season tent you can depend upon.
- Families or friends who like to camp will find the extra space useful.
- You don't have to duck to stand up as the ceiling is high.
- The tent might be too big for a solitary camper or couples who don't bring lots of gear.
- A first time camper might encounter a bit of difficulty when it comes to setting the tent up.
- A few customers have complained the zipper area leaks a bit.
- Some customers are not happy with the floor as it made up of the same material as the walls.
- The tent is well-made, but some customers suggest waterproofing it to fortify the ceiling and walls.
- The Big Horn is heavier than other tents, but that is to be expected given its size.
Benefits Enjoyed When Using the Tent
The number one benefit in using the Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent is the interior space. It is a full-sized family tent with room for a family of four with plenty of space left for your bags, coolers and other camping paraphernalia. The Big Horn also scores points for being durable: if you read most of the reviews most of them say the tent holds up well even during a sudden downpour. It’s just as comfortable to use during the summer though, as it has several windows to keep you well ventilated inside.
Summary of Customer Reviews
Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent reviews on online stores are very positive: Most of the customers give it 5 stars. The general consensus is that the set up is easy and has lots of room for families. Reviewers from customers show the tent is not only durable, but the customer service is quite prompt and reliable. Many of the reviewers actually use the tent during downpours and reported no problems with leaks, something that plagues other tents. For this alone, the tent is worth looking into.
Other reviews about the Big Horn say the tent is flexible and allows them to configure the interior in various ways, with some of the reviewers even posting pictures of the tent. While there are a few negative reviews, most of the feedback speaks highly of it even when compared against other, more expensive tents online.
Step by Step Setting Up Guide
To set up the best waterproof tent, follow this guide.
- Find a camping area that is devoid of sharp objects. If necessary, clear the area of rocks, sticks and other debris that could hamper the set up.
- Unpack the tent and set down all the components.
- Unfold the Big Horn and set it down in the area you selected. Position the door area where you want it to be (i.e. if you want the door to face the sun, point it to east).
- Stake the corners of the tent and make sure the floor is as taut as much as possible.
- Connect the poles, taking care you don't make any mistakes and that you are connecting the right poles. The process should be straightforward but if you are not sure just look up the instruction manual.
- Slide the tent poles into the sleeves and attach to the body.
- If you want you can secure the rain fly.
That’s all there is to set up the tent, but if you’re a first-time camper, read the manual for more specific directions, though the tent design makes setup intuitive. Again, it’s hard to stress just how important it is to choose a good location so the flooring remains flat. It’s also crucial that you stake the tent properly to ensure stability, particularly if you expect high wind.
You may also watch the following video if you like to see the tent’s review in multimedia format
Tips for Maintenance and Usage
Even the best waterproof tent needs care and maintenance so keep these in mind. Number one, use the tent only as directed in the instruction manual and follow the advice given there for cleaning and maintenance. Second, always bring an emergency tent repair kit in case a rip or tear appears. Even though the Big Horn is waterproof, it won’t hurt to apply a waterproofing solution after a heavy downpour. In addition, always clean the tent before storing it. You may have heard that advice before but it bears repeating: dirt, grime, and stains have to be removed with soap, water, and sponge. Don’t let dirt accumulate in your tent: bring a brush and dust pan to remove dirt and dust, and don’t step in the tent with your shoes on. Lastly, do not store the Big Horn if it is still wet; let it dry.
When it comes to any talk of the best waterproof tent, the Big Horn deserves to be in the discussion. When it comes to family tents you need to look for the following: space, protection from the elements and reliability. The Big Horn has all of these and offers a lot more. The room divider does what it should, provide privacy, and the quality of the materials used is one that’s hard to match. When it comes to value for money, the Big Horn is a good choice and I highly recommend it. While Browning has manufactured a lot of good tents, this is one of the best.
Anyone who has spent time camping and buying tents knows all manufacturers will claim theirs is the best waterproof tent available, but not all of them live up to the hype, and some are poorly made. The Big Horn from Browning is different however, as it delivers where it matters the most, namely space, weather protection and dependability. For the price this is really a bargain, and it doesn’t hurt that the tent is also easy to set up. If you’re in search of a family tent that will accompany you camping for a long time, this is it.