The best beach tent is one that allows you to savor the great outdoors while providing sufficient protection from the sun. The best beach tents may be considered as an investment, but most of the good ones are quite affordable and come with plenty of features. If you have never bought one before, this guide is for you, as we have compiled the top tents for use on the beach today, plus we have a guide that explains what these tents are, a FAQ and the benefits and disadvantages. Each of the reviews also has a benefits and drawbacks section so you can decide.
- 1 What Is A Beach Tent?
- 2 Why Would You Need a Beach Tent?
- 3 Reasons For Choosing A Beach Tent Over The Other Type
- 4 Our Pick for Best Beach Tent
- 5 Short Review Of Each Best Beach Tent
- 6 Advantages and Disadvantages of a Beach Tent
- 7 Tips For Keeping A Beach Tent Good
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions Of A Beach Tent
- 9 For Those Of You Who Are Still Unsure
- 10 Final Words
What Is A Beach Tent?
The best beach tent is not really that different from a regular camping tent, as it is usually built from water-resistant nylon, polyester or other waterproof material. A typical tent usually has a zippered door or two or three openings for convenient access. Unlike camping tents, these are not really designed for sleeping in as they are made mainly to shelter people from the sun. However, it is possible to use the tent during sleepovers and in other locations besides the beach such as parks, rivers, lakes, and picnic areas, and even some campsites.
Why Would You Need a Beach Tent?
You need the best beach tent to provide shade when you’re out on the beach. Getting a tan is nice, but sometimes the sun gets too hot and you need to take a break. This is especially handy if you bring your kids to the beach. In addition, these tents provide more comfort than simply lying down on a towel, and as the following reviews will show, they are available in different sizes, shapes and colors. And the tent also comes in handy if you want to read a book and want cover.
Reasons For Choosing A Beach Tent Over The Other Type
The best beach tent is versatile and can be used in different locations, and second, the composition is top notch and comparable to the ones used at camping. Like regular camping tents, many of these tents are family sized so two adults and a couple of children can fit comfortably.
The truth is sunglasses are not enough protection from the sun. Also keep in mind that in some cases, it rains on the beach, plus there is the matter of sand, wind and the sea spraying water. If the day suddenly gets cold, a well-made tent will keep you warm. Another thing: having a tent provides you with a convenient place to store your belongings so they don’t get lost or get damaged by water. When it comes to your possessions, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Our Pick for Best Beach Tent
Here we make a list of 5 top rated and best beach tent. Let’s take a look at our best pick
We make a short list of 5 best beach tents for you. That will help you to find out the best beach tent. Let’s look at a comparison chart of the best beach tents.
Short Review Of Each Best Beach Tent
Here is the short review of each best beach tent that we selected for you. These reviews definitely help you to choice the best beach tent that is best suited for you.
1. Pacific Breeze EasyUp Beach Deluxe XL Tent
The Pacific Breeze EasyUp Beach Tent is a good candidate for the best beach tent as it has several features that make it stand out from the rest. Here’s a look at some of the key elements on the Pacific Breeze. The tent is as easy to setup as advertised, and the windows are large and well placed. Comfortably fits 4 persons in this best beach tent. As has been pointed out by several reviewers, the tent does a good job providing shelter during hot summer days, and the storage pockets are within easy reach, so if you’re in the tent you can easily grab your suntan lotion. The tent is compact too, as it is only 38 inches long when placed in the case. The manufacturer is known for producing several tents for beaches, and this is one of their best releases.
- The EasyUp Hub System makes it easy to set up and take down this tent, and even a first timer can do it without a little trouble.
- The tent is compact and light, yet provides full protection from the sun, rain, wind and other elements on the beach.
- The interior measures 52 H x 51 D x 95 L and comes with pockets for storing various items.
- The tent is constructed from solid materials: the floor is waterproof and the frame is fiberglass.
- The tent is big enough for two adults and 3 young children.
- Stakes are included.
- Comes with a carrying case.
- Easy to set up.
- Some customers have complained the tent doesn’t provide enough sun protection.
Why the Tent is One of the Best
- The tent is easy enough a first timer can set it up.
- Taking down is just as quick.
- Offers UPF 50+ sun protection.
- The interior offers enough space for your belongings.
- The inclusion of sand pockets is a nice touch.
- As reviews have pointed out, the customer support is top notch.
- It's compact enough to pack in your car.
2. Lightspeed Outdoors Quick Cabana Beach Tent Sun Shelter
The Lightspeed is rightfully considered as one of the best beach tent products today as it combines ease of use with comfort and safety. Aside from the beach, the Lightspeed can be used in camping sites or your own backyard.
- The tent is constructed from high grade polyester and provides plenty of protection from the wind, sun and other elements.
- The cabana style design has integrated poles and a compression hub-system that simplifies the setup and take down procedures.
- There's no need to worry about getting burned by the sun as the tent has UPF 50+ sun protection, so whether you're at the beach, park or camping, you'll be kept cool under the shade.
- There are three windows that provide privacy and ventilation, and they are easy to roll up.
- The inclusion of a full front porch helps keep you off the wet surface, and it also plays an important role keeping the sand off.
- The tent has an adequately sized overhang that offers just the right amount of shade.
- The sand pockets do a good job stabilizing it.
- The tent can be used with or without chairs.
- Compact and portable.
- Set up is easy and quick.
- Taking down is just as convenient.
- The tent is sturdy enough to withstand sudden wind gusts on the beach.
- There are pockets on the wall.
- Works great for people who get cold quickly on the beach.
- The interior floor can get hot, so you have to cover it with a towel.
- The front flap does not seal as well as on other tents.
- Petite individuals might need assistance getting the tent up.
Why the Tent is One of the Best
- The materials used here are of exceptional quality.
- The design makes it easy to use plus the colors are attractive.
- The windows are easy to open if you need some air.
- The sand bags means there is no need to stake the cabana.
- The storage bag offers lots of space.
- The tent weighs only 6.2 lbs. so it's easy to carry.
3. Genji Sports Instant Beach Star Tent
The Genji should definitely be part of a list of the best beach tent because it’s been proven time and again to be comfortable and safe to use. It literally takes just a few seconds, and the same thing can be said when you take it down. While the tent was built mainly for use on the beach, it is versatile enough to handle other types of environments.
This is not the tent that can stand up to gale level winds, but if you are just looking for a quality tent for the beach, this will do just fine. Here’s a rundown of some of the Genji Sports Instant Beach’s best features.
- The patented setup mechanism lets you open and close the tent in just seconds.
- The tent comes with a UV 50+ protective coating, and its 190T nylon prevents UV rays from striking you.
- The frame is made up of fiberglass, and while it's durable, weighs very little.
- It has a waterproof PE floor and an instant push up design that makes the tent suitable for a wide range of activities on the beach.
- The tent is versatile enough to be used on grass.
- Anyone can set up and take down this tent.
- The tent is durable.
- The tent is light weight and should pose no problems with transportation.
- The interior is roomy.
- Works great on the beach and just as well on grassy fields.
- The tent does not provide sufficient protection against rain.
- Some customers find the tent too small.
- Some reviews say the tent gets too hot inside.
Why the Tent is One of the Best
- There are few tents that can match this in terms of ease of set up.
- The tent has received a lot of positive reviews.
- The tent should be just right for one or two adults.
- As many reviewers have noted, this is a durable tent.
- The windows provide just the right amount of ventilation and privacy.
- There is sufficient space for your beach gear.
- The tent meets the minimum CPAI-84 fire retardant standard.
4. Coleman Compact Shade Shelter
Any talk of the best beach tent usually ends up mentioning the Coleman, and that’s really a given considering how versatile it is. The tent is also available in several colors: green, blue / lime, orange and pink. With a center height of 57 inches and dimensions of 7.5′ x 4.5′, the tent provides just enough room for a couple of adults to relax and get some shade.
- There are four pockets inside the tent, great for storing all your personal items.
- The tent comes with several utilities and accessories such as a floor mat, handy dry line, stakes, a sandbag and a bag.
- The Compact Shade Shelter comes with a couple of zippered doors for additional privacy. This is one of the best features of the tent as you can use one of the rooms to change clothes, very handy when you are on the beach.
- Set up takes 10 minutes tops, and if you are a long time
tentuser, takes even less.
- The tent can handle a good deal of the wind on the beach.
- Small enough to fit in a traveler's suitcase.
- Offers better shade compared to others in its class.
- The tent is really small when you pack it up.
- Comes with a floor so you are not stuck on the sand.
- On hot days the interior of the tent could get hot.
- The tent doesn't handle strong winds or rain very well.
- It doesn't have a top window like other tents.
Why the Tent is One of the Best
- The tent is well-designed, and you can tell by the way the flooring is extended to the front of the Coleman.
- As a lot of reviewers have already noted, the biggest benefit of this tent is it packs tightly and easily.
- Coleman has always been known for their quality tents and this is no exception.
- The tent does not require extensive cleaning or maintenance.
- There is space here for three adults.
- The bundled carrying bag is small but more than enough for this tent.
- The tent is surprisingly strong.
5. Shade Shack Instant Pop Up Family Beach Tent And Sun Shelter
This definitely belongs in a best beach tent list as it provides solid sun protection and is easy to set up. Even if it is your first time to use this type of tent, you won’t have any problems unfolding this, and it’s functional not just on the beach but in your backyard, picnic areas, and parks. In short, this is a versatile tent that does exactly what you expect, and does it well.
- The one-piece pop design allows for quick set up.
- The 190T Polyester Zinc Coating has a rating of 30+ UPF.
- It blocks out 96% of all UV rays.
- Putting sand in the pockets is easy.
- The stakes can be used on grass as well as sand.
- Dimensions of 90" x 53" x 51" makes this spacious.
- Easy to set up.
- Comes with a how-to DVD.
- Made from solid materials.
- There is no assembly needed.
- Fits easily in a large suitcase.
- Stakes are bundled with the tent.
- Has received several positive reviews.
- It can be hot inside the tent at times.
- Does not have a floor.
- The sand pockets need to shake up well to get rid of all the sand.
Why the Tent is One of the Best
- The tent compacts to small size when folded.
- While the tent cannot deal with very strong winds, it is more than capable of handling most weather conditions on the beach.
- The tent design provides pretty good shade when the sun is up.
- The side sand pockets do their job of putting weight on the tent.
- The flaps are well made, as you can open them to get some beach breeze.
- There's enough space in the tent for a couple of beach chairs.
- It's not necessary to use the stakes because oftentimes the sand bags will be more than enough.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Beach Tent
- Provides shading: sunglasses and umbrellas are not enough to provide protection from the sun, so having a tent will come in handy.
- Easy to set up: most of these tents just pop up like an umbrella.
- More portable than regular camping tents: they’re lighter too and easier to pack.
- Comes with pockets for storing beach gear.
- Affordable: competition has brought the prices down significantly.
- Easy to store: the best of these tents can fit in a suitcase.
- Most don’t need stakes: as many reviews indicate, the sand bags are usually enough to keep the tent stable.
- These tents don’t offer as much as space as bigger camping tents.
- Design quality varies.
- Some of these tents don’t have floors, and this can be a problem if the sand gets too hot.
- Can get hot in the tent, so make sure the one you buy has ventilation.
- A few of these tents are difficult to take down.
- Most cannot withstand strong winds: but this is to be expected, however.
- The UV ray protection varies: read the product description to be sure.
Tips For Keeping A Beach Tent Good
The best beach tents have manuals, so look there first for specific instructions. In addition, make sure the tent is properly positioned so air can get out when you collapse the tent. Letting the air out makes it easier to take down and store the tent. Make sure the sand pockets / bags no longer have any sand, and the stakes should be stored in a separate bag.
If you’re going to use the tent on a grassy field, follow the usual cleaning and maintenance rules for camping tents. This means sweeping out the dirt, leaves, rocks and other stuff before it clutters the interior. Before you take the tent down, clean out the dirt, so none of it gets in the bag.
If it rains suddenly, wait for the tent to dry before storing it. It’s never a good idea to store a wet tent because mildew can set in. If there’s dirt on the tent, use soap and water to clean it up, and if it won’t come off, use a sponge. Don’t use a washing machine to clean the tent because it’s going to be damaged. Again, air dry before storing.
Frequently Asked Questions Of A Beach Tent
1. What types are available?
Answer: Pop up tents are easy to set up and take down while the cabana style offers good shading. Canopy tents are large and used for groups of people, while baby tents are for those who bring infants or toddlers to the beach. No single type is the best, and it depends on your own needs.
2. Are these tents durable?
Answer: Yes, most of them are. However, don’t expect these to last if there are gale winds or downpours.
3. Can I use these like regular camping tents?
Answer: Only if the weather is fine. These are meant to be set on sand, but some can be set up on grass as well. Don’t put the tent on a rough surface or anywhere near tree branches.
4. How many people can fit in?
Answer: Usually two adults and two small kids, but again this will depend on the dimensions of the tent.
5. Can these protect me from UV rays?
Answer: Yes, but the protection level varies.
6. How do I fix tent tears and rips?
Answer: Duct tape and the usual methods used on camping tents are applicable here. As soon as you see a rip, fix it immediately.
For Those Of You Who Are Still Unsure
If you are still not sure which of the best beach tents mentioned here should be purchased, I would recommend thePacific Breeze EasyUp Beach Tent and the Lightspeed Outdoors Quick Cabana Beach Tent Sun Shelter, Blue. These two tents are very easy to set up and are affordable too. All of the tents reviewed here are solid, but if you want the most value for your money, the Lightspeed or Pacific Breeze are the best options. They’re spacious, offer sufficient sun protection and more than capable of handling the usual conditions you come across at most beaches.
There was a time when people could get away with a sunglass or an umbrella at the beach, but these days it can get quite hot or windy. With a tent, you’ll have space for all your stuff and not worry about sand getting on your stuff or losing them on the beach. And with this guide, you will have an easier time picking out the best beach tents and ensuring you get your money’s worth. At first, it might seem like there’s too much work involved in the research, but you will be better off for it: it’s best to do research now than end up with an inferior product.